Re: How to Turn Off Autodiscovered Printers in Firefox?

On 2017-09-27, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>> When I tried this, it solved my problem, and I don't notice any delay
>> issues.
>
> Users of Qt apps, command line utilities and LibreOffice would not be
> overjoyed by having their printing experience severely degraded. There
> might also be other drawbacks to dbus deactivation. The issue with an
> "anonymous joe" is the lack of any detail, explanation or testing
> reports.

Well Joe(s) said:

 The cups client libraries now also get a list of network printers from Avahi.
 In older versions of cups, this was only done by the cups server.

 This is now done in the client-side cups libraries (ie libcups.so,
 which GNOME and KDE apps link against) and not in the cupsd server.
 So changing the "Browse" settings in the cups server won't work.

 $ ldd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcups.so.2
 libavahi-common.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavahi-common.so.3
 libavahi-client.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavahi-client.so.3

 IE this behaviour (of showing remote printers in the Print dialog box) happens
 even if you turn off your local cups server. You can disable it by turning off
 the avahi service, but that will disable all zeroconf/mdns related
 functionality.

 However, there is at least a way to turn off most of avahi's functionality
 (including adding remote printers into the CUPS clients) while keeping the DNS
 functionality (eg when looking up foo.local-style host names):
 edit /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and in the [server] section, add
 enable-dbus=no then restart the avahi-daemon service.

I guess that's all the explanation we're going to get. As for testing, the OP
tested and said it solved his problem. I'm sorry the solution wasn't up to your
high standards, but I did my best.

;-)

--
"A simpering Bambi narcissist and a thieving, fanatical Albanian dwarf."
Christopher Hitchens, commenting shortly after the nearly concurrent deaths