Re: disk partitioners vs disk with 2048 byte phusical sectors

On Wednesday 27 September 2017 08:46:30 Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 08:42:08AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Do we have a disk partitioner that does understand a physical sector
> > size of any power of 2? gparted is out as this machine does not yet
> > have an x server installed, so I need a commandline tool.
> >
> > Suggestions will be investigated, thank you.
>
> You don't mention which tool(s) you've already attempted, but have you
> looked at parted?

parted and fdisk, parted was I think mentioned in what you snipped,  but
fdisk doesn't know how to even check alignment. (that I know of) The
last time I used fdisk I got write rates under 15 megs/second on a
sata-ii interface. I backed it up and fixed it with gparted and its now
doing about 120 megs/second.

Secondary question. On efi setups, how much blank space in front of the
1st partition is needed for that stuff on a terrabyte drive?  Or is
there even a rule of thumb about that?

Thanks Roberto.

> Regards,
>
> -Roberto