Re: sudo slow on DNS lookup, with invalid resolv.conf entries

>> My chosen machine name was "localhost", problem partially lies here.
>
> Yeah, man.
>
> My uncle Harry had a similar problem when it occurred to him that--for
> reasons of simplicity and because of a failing memory--he might christen
> two recently-purchased kittens with identical names. Whenever he called
> one of them there would be a considerable delay (each of them assuming
> he was calling the other).
>
> Of course cats never come when you call them anyway (which is a clue
> the story may be apocryphal).
>
> BTW, did you get the memo?
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt
>

>From rfc1912:

-----
  Translating 127.0.0.1 into "localhost.dom.ain" can cause some
      software to connect back to the loopback interface when it didn't
      want to because "localhost" is not equal to "localhost.dom.ain".
-----

Thanks for the memo. Seems the solution is to not call machine localhost,
if insist in doing so, be sure it contains a "localhost.localdomain" line
in /etc/hosts.

I believe topic is closed with this.

Thanks

x9p