Re: making me automaticly logged in?

On Monday 18 September 2017 05:11:56 Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 03:35:04AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Greetings all;
> >
> >I have one of my wheezy machines that has decided it shouldn't start
> > any services until I have logged in on its own keyboard. I can't
> > even ping it from the rest of my network now until I have logged in
> > on its own keyboard.  It did not originally, and as recently as 2
> > months ago, it started everything and quietly waited showing the
> > login dialog, while I was logged in with an ssh -Y session and doing
> > anything I could from a terminal-4.8 console on this machine.
> >
> >What does it take to automaticly log me in, so that the rest of the
> >machine can function normally again. I am normally the only user on
> >these machines. dd-wrt stands guard between my network and the cable
> >modem, and has not been penetrated in 10+ years, so I am not
> > concerned about the black hats crowd.
>
> That's a bit of a thorny issue. At the simplest, you could try
> installing something like nodm, which will start an X session for the
> configured user at boot.
>
> If you're wanting automatic login at the console, then apparently you
> can pass the "-a $USER" (e.g. "-a bob" or "-a fred") argument to
> /sbin/getty. There's some more details on StackOverflow about that:
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10282981/automatic-login-on-angst
>rom-linux#14148494>
>
> However, I don't entirely know how these interact with PAM, or even
> with other services. So if some process is waiting for you to actually
> authenticate yourself (for example, cryptdisks or kerberos or anything
> security-based, I suppose), then these 'hacks' might not be
> sufficient, and you'd be better off finding out the root issue.

That machine is running the TDE desktop, like this one is as it has
enough resources to do it nicely. All the rest of them are running LXDE,
or XFDE as the case may be. And they have not been afflicted with this.

However, it appears there isn't a live mailing listserver at
lists.pearsoncomputing.net, 3 posts in the last 48 hours have not been
echo'd although I can ping the machine by its FQDN just fine.  IRC
channel has low activity but seems to be working, however I think I'm
the only biped logged in with uncovered eyeballs ATM.

My instant problem, a disappearing usb camera, could also be solved I
think, by power cycling the usb port its plugged into, as it will
re-appear after a powerdown reboot, but I do not know how to do that
short of a powerdown reset.  If there is such an ability the user, or a
sudo can do, that would also be helpfull.

> >Cheers, Gene Heskett
> >--
> >"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> >Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)