Re: making me automaticly logged in?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 03:35:04AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I have one of my wheezy machines that has decided it shouldn't start any
services until I have logged in on its own keyboard. I can't even ping
it from the rest of my network now until I have logged in on its own
keyboard.  It did not originally, and as recently as 2 months ago, it
started everything and quietly waited showing the login dialog, while I
was logged in with an ssh -Y session and doing anything I could from a
terminal-4.8 console on this machine.

What does it take to automaticly log me in, so that the rest of the
machine can function normally again. I am normally the only user on
these machines. dd-wrt stands guard between my network and the cable
modem, and has not been penetrated in 10+ years, so I am not concerned
about the black hats crowd.

That's a bit of a thorny issue. At the simplest, you could try installing something like nodm, which will start an X session for the configured user at boot.

If you're wanting automatic login at the console, then apparently you can pass the "-a $USER" (e.g. "-a bob" or "-a fred") argument to /sbin/getty. There's some more details on StackOverflow about that: <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10282981/automatic-login-on-angstrom-linux#14148494>

However, I don't entirely know how these interact with PAM, or even with other services. So if some process is waiting for you to actually authenticate yourself (for example, cryptdisks or kerberos or anything security-based, I suppose), then these 'hacks' might not be sufficient, and you'd be better off finding out the root issue.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

For more information, please reread.