Re: Virtualbox for stretch and buster not in repos

On 22-08-17, RavenLX wrote:
> On 08/18/2017 10:25 AM, Dejan Jocic wrote:

> > > I wonder if there's a replacement for VirtualBox? I need something that will
> > > allow me to share a directory between host and virtual machine, and to be
> > > able to go between both quickly (I don't have a dual-screen system - no room
> > > where I live for that). If I could find something that would work I'd
> > > switch, I think. As for my friend, he would need far more features I guess
> > > (I don't know what though).
> > >

> > qemu-kvm does not serve your needs? You can use it with GUI friendly
> > virt-manager, or from command line. And switching between host and guest
> > is switching between windows. As for shared directory, NFS?
>
> The shared directory has to be a directory on the host (ie. ext4 is what I'm
> using). VirtualBox lets me share as many directories as I like and lets me
> specify which ones. I think I tried qemu and kvm and didn't even know how to
> use it or where to begin. I might have to revisit that sometime especially
> if I get tired of VirtualBox.

Hmm, I was curious to see if it can be done with qemu-kvm. It can and is
not really hard. At least not with virt-manager, did not check on
command line. Anyway, just as a note if you decide to use it.

Once you make and open your VM, go to view, details, add hardware
button, file system, select folder for source ( like /home/something on
your host ), select folder for destination ( something on your guest
like example ), then mount that example where you want on your guest.
You just need to get right mount command, this is from qemu wiki:

mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio [mount tag] [mount point] -oversion=9p2000.L

Here is that page for further reading:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup

And here is with bit less reading and illustrated from kvm:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/9p_virtio

Personally, I do not have use for shared files between host and guest,
but hope that this can help you.