Re: Virtualbox for stretch and buster not in repos

On 08/18/2017 10:25 AM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
On 18-08-17, RavenLX wrote:
On 08/18/2017 09:14 AM, Sven Hartge wrote:
RavenLX <ravenlx@sitesplace.net> wrote:

I always used the Oracle repo anyway because it was updated more
frequently. But I do wish that something could be worked out so that
it would be back in Debian.

Highly unlikely, as Oracle behaves like this for all software released
and distributed by them.

Grüße,
Sven.

I wonder if there's a replacement for VirtualBox? I need something that will
allow me to share a directory between host and virtual machine, and to be
able to go between both quickly (I don't have a dual-screen system - no room
where I live for that). If I could find something that would work I'd
switch, I think. As for my friend, he would need far more features I guess
(I don't know what though).

qemu-kvm does not serve your needs? You can use it with GUI friendly
virt-manager, or from command line. And switching between host and guest
is switching between windows. As for shared directory, NFS?

The shared directory has to be a directory on the host (ie. ext4 is what I'm using). VirtualBox lets me share as many directories as I like and lets me specify which ones. I think I tried qemu and kvm and didn't even know how to use it or where to begin. I might have to revisit that sometime especially if I get tired of VirtualBox.