Re: obsolete wiki (no /etc/inittab)

On Monday 21 August 2017 09:06:27 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 06:35:09PM +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
wrote:
> > Debian 7 has those very manual pages:
> >

> > * https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/upstart/inittab.5.en.html
>
> Gene's copy/paste was crude, but his point was essentially valid:
> the inittab(5) page on a *real* wheezy system comes from syvinit,
> not from upstart.
>
> <https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/sysvinit/inittab.5.en.html>
>
> I don't of know a single person who ever used upstart on wheezy.

With 4 wheezy machines here, I don't even know what it is/was.

> I also don't believe it was wheezy's job to warn people that the next
> release of Debian would have a new init system and break backward
> compatibility.  That hardly seems fair to wheezy.  A system should
> only be responsible for documenting itself, not its future progeny.

I'd argue that something that was being deprecated, should have a pointer
to a tut or something that would "ease the pain" of learning a new
system. Having to learn a new system of setting up a network is doubly
painfull when you do not have a network so you can ask questions w/o
going to a different machine where the networking is working.  Not
everybody has a 5+ machine home network. For email w/o this machine, I'd
first have to recover pw's and such and use webmail from one of the
other machines external to this house.

> The change to systemd in jessie is a huge shock for some people, which
> is why the alternative to "go back" to sysvinit is still provided and
> mostly supported.

And I think that was much appreciated.  And seems to have been done for
me by the source of the jessie installed on the r-pi 3b. Considering I
was working on strange armhf hardware, I was, and still am, amazed at
the compatibility problems I have not had.

> Could the Debian wiki do a better job?  Certainly.  But it is
> documentation provided by end users for end users, so it's hit and
> miss.
>
> If anyone on this list finds a wiki page that seems wrong, but you
> don't feel like you have the knowledge required to fix it, go ahead
> and point it out to us.  Be sure to give us the actual URL of the page
> in question, and describe what you feel is wrong about it.  It would
> also be helpful to understand how you got to that page ("I started on
> SystemAdministration, then clicked Boot process, then clicked Init"),
> as this will give us a better high-level overview of how the wiki is
> structured.  Maybe the changes you want would fit better in one of
> the pages you went *through* on your way here, or maybe not.

Cheers Greg, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)