Re: obsolete wiki (no /etc/inittab)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard:

Furthermore: In this *particular* regard, the developer-provided doco actually *is* clear. The upstart manual page for inittab has been warning that the file is obsolete for over ten years, and that manual page is copied all over the WWW making it fairly easy to come across. (Examples: https://linux.die.net/man/5/inittab https://askubuntu.com/questions/34308/ https://serverfault.com/questions/147430/ http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man5/inittab.5.html)

The systemd people have not explicitly documented inittab, as the upstart people did, although they have explicitly documented run levels as "obsolete" in the systemd manual page for runlevel. This, too, has been copied around the WWW, albeit somewhat less. (Examples: https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/systemd-sysv/runlevel.8.en.html http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/runlevel.8.html https://www.mankier.com/8/runlevel)

Gene Heskett:

Its becoming obsolete is NOT mentioned in my wheezy approved and supplied man page for it, I just read it this instant. So if you call it widely publicized it fails that definition AFAIAC.

Debian 7 has those very manual pages:

* https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/upstart/inittab.5.en.html

* https://manpages.debian.org/wheezy/systemd-sysv/runlevel.8.en.html