Re: Thoughts on Ansible? [was: Thoughts on Anible?]

On 08/19/2017 11:16 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

Thank you. I'm sorry about the typo. I'll reply in this fixed thread.

On 08/19/2017 11:12 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 07:01:03PM -0400, RavenLX wrote:
>> Please forgive my goofy questions. I am not really that well versed in CM
>> (Configuration Management) and this post is really going to show it.
>>
>> Because this will more than likely be tltr (too long to read), I'll try to
>> make it as fun as possible. Forgive if my humor is a bit strange.
>>
>> I noticed "Anible" isn't in the debian repos. Seems to be a Red Hat
>> scripting engine for creating automated installs.
>
> Just a fact correction.
>
> I think you are mistyping.  Ansible is in the repo of Debian:

Thank you. I think that's why I couldn't find it - I mispelled it. :)

[snipped apt show info]

> I think use of ansible or any similar tool is not prerequisite of
> "development".  It's a configuration management system.   It's a nice
> and interesting tool I am thinking to learn but I don't use it yet.

The biggest thing with me is my memory. In that if it takes too much to do a task (ie. Ansible taking several lines to make a directory vs. Python taking one line), then I tend to forget how things are done and it gets confusing.

> You need C, Shell, Perl, Python, git, ... skills first for
> development.

Great suggestions! Thank you. I do have some C programming skills but not that great. I can get around the CLI pretty well, I'm proficient with Perl, am learning Pythong. I had used git but I don't really have much to share (right now) and so I don't have an account anymore there. Most of my stuff is for my work, which doesn't really share stuff (though I could share my code if I wish). I'm not thinking of going into a side-hobby of programming. At work I manage a web server, and pretty much am more comfy with Perl and Bash and now Python. But I also want to be sure to keep up with the times, so to speak. So I wondered if other admins recommended Ansible as a "must have skill" or just optional.