Re: no /etc/inittab

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017, Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:21:24 -0300
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Aug 2017, Joe wrote:
> > > up the courage to do the real thing. There was nothing fundamentally
> > > wrong, but a separate /usr really is a show-stopper with systemd,
> > > and it's nice to have a working firewall...
> >
> > The standard Debian initramfs is supposed to handle that, if it is not
> > doing that properly, it is a bug we should fix...
> >

> Which?

Separate /usr.  The initramfs is supposed to mount it early enough and
then do whatever is required (suck as re-kicking udev, etc) for it to be
equivalent to /usr-in-/ for the rest of the system.

[...]

> As to the separate /usr, I know I can muck about with initrd to get a
> separate /usr mounted during boot, but all things considered, it seemed
> preferable to merge it into /. It was just a pain because it was a

Yes, it is safer.  And recreating filesystems with a newer toolset every
so often is a good idea.  mkfs.xfs in stretch will do on-storage-format
v5, for example, which gives you metadata CRC, d_type, and some other
nice stuff that is not present on on-storage-format v4 used by jessie...

--
  Henrique Holschuh