Re: no /etc/inittab

On 14.08.17 11:43, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi everybody,
> I discovered recently, after re-installing my system with the Debian 9.1 kde
> live dvd, that the /etc/inittab is no more present, although
> all the documentation I found still mentions it, For example, from the Debian wiki:
>
> The system initialization process is handled by the init daemon.
>   The ?/etc/inittab configuration tells init what to do. Especially it contains the lines :
>
> Nevertheless, the boot seems to work corectly without it, and without /etc/init.d/rc.
> Does that means that the Debian wiki is out of date, or did I miss something?

Yup, but it hasn't missed you. We no longer run Linux, but rather, Systemdix.
In Debian, systemd is inexorably replacing swathes of traditional *nix
functionality which we have over several decades learnt to use and rely
on. With Systemdix, we not only acquire a M$-style impenetrable
monolithic kitchen sink, but lose the interfaces with which we are
familiar.

My Debian 7.8 machine still has /etc/inittab, but the new 9.0 machine
doesn't. AIUI, though, it is not necessary to go back to the old
versions, as it is possible to replace systemd in stretch with a sysv package.
In fact, the first hit for "debian stretch sysvinit" is "Debian Stretch
- Without Systemd" Jackpot!

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch

Now, if that brings back ifconfig as well, I won't have to rummage about
finding which package that might be in.

It's fine to add new stuff to *nix, but the user interface for existing
stuff has to remain, or it's not worth a biscuit. (c.f. postfix, which
provides a sendmail-style interface for us old-timers.)

Erik