Re: no /etc/inittab

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 11:21:24 -0300
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017, Joe wrote:
> > up the courage to do the real thing. There was nothing fundamentally
> > wrong, but a separate /usr really is a show-stopper with systemd,
> > and it's nice to have a working firewall...
>
> The standard Debian initramfs is supposed to handle that, if it is not
> doing that properly, it is a bug we should fix...

Which?

I wrote my own firewall pseudo-daemon, long before iptables-persistent,
and although it complied with the dependency-based boot requirements,
systemd could not deal with it. No big deal, iptables-persistent does
the job, but it would have been nice if systemd was happy with the old
script.

As to the separate /usr, I know I can muck about with initrd to get a
separate /usr mounted during boot, but all things considered, it seemed
preferable to merge it into /. It was just a pain because it was a
non-LVM setup with many awkwardly-placed partitions, inherited from a
very old installation. What I actually did was to install Wheezy to a
new hard drive with merged /usr, and run the server with that, then
tried the upgrade on the old drive installed in other hardware. When it
failed to boot, and the boot log threw up several /usr-related errors,
I just went ahead with the merge, after which it booted OK. When I do
upgrade the real Wheezy, /usr is already in /, that's one less problem.

--
Joe