Re: Debian8 is not playing with Synology using NFS/CIFS

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 10:09:42AM +0000, Joerg Desch wrote:
Am Tue, 08 Aug 2017 11:01:12 +0100 schrieb Darac Marjal:

I'll assume that the Synology is a black box, and so we can't work out
how it's configured.

Yes, more or less.

Try "mount -v -t nfs name.or.ip.of.synology:/ /some/mountpoint" and see
what errors result.

Mounting isn't the problem. The mount is working without errors

   mount.nfs: trying text-based options
   'hard,intr,vers=4,addr=192.168.1.1,clientaddr=192.168.1.88'

My only problem is the (very old) goal to get different uid/gid working.

OK, that's good. NFSv4 doesn't send UIDs/GIDs over the wire any more, it sends Usernames and Groups. So, if "fred" on your client is UID 1001, but 'fred' on the server is UID 1005, then the file will get saved with UID 1005. On reading it back, you should get the reverse mapping - there's a file belonging to UID 1005, on the server that's "fred" so "fred" is sent over the wire and the client sees that as it's own version of "fred".

The problem comes when "bill" tries to access the share. "bill" doesn't have an account on the server, so he will get mapped to "nobody". This probably gives bill read access, but not write access and, certainly, if bill CAN write files, they won't end up belonging to them.

So, ideally, you need to find a way to synchronise the user lists. You can either manage /etc/passwd (and similar on the Synology) manually, or you can look at some sort of Active Directory system whereby clients are registered with a central server and perform their name lookups against that.

Thanks

--
For more information, please reread.