Re: changing the ethernet interface name

Pierre Frenkiel composed on 2017-08-07 09:00 (UTC+0200):

> After installing stretch 9.1, I discovered that some programs were not
> working because the interface name was enp0s31f6 instead of eth0.
> This would not be a problem if these programs reported this error in
> their log file,but it not the case(for example with minidlnad)
> I then tried to change this name, following the recipe in the debian manual
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_interface_name:

>      In order to ensure each network interface to be named persistently
>      for each reboot using MAC address etc., there is a rules file
>      "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules". This file is automatically
>      generated by the "/lib/udev/write_net_rules" program, probably run
                                                            !!!!!!!!!!!!
>      by the "persistent-net-generator.rules" rules file. You can modify
>      it to change naming rule.

> None of these files:
>     70-persistent-net.rules
>     /lib/udev/write_net_rules
>     persistent-net-generator.rules
> are present on my system, and I don't know how to get them
> It's curious that the author of the manual himself is not sure
> Does anybody know how to to fix that.

If all you are after is to restore historical behavior, aka eth0 assigned to the
only interface in the machine, employ your choice of instructions at the bottom:
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/>

I use #3, and 70-persistent-net.rules persists with the right MAC address on eth0.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/