Re: howto restart a service in postinst script (Stretch and newer)

Hi Christian,

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 09:34:31 +0200
Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:

> For things that are only available on systemd (for example if you
> have split the service additionally for systemd, while sysvinit is
> still just a single script) you should use the code that is
> generated from dh_systemd in postinst, which you can see e.g. here:
>
> http://sources.debian.net/src/debhelper/10.2.5/autoscripts/postinst-systemd-restart/

this appears to be another misunderstanding: I am not restarting
the packages own service, but *another* service, e.g. opensmtpd.
My package has just provided the necessary config file.

opensmtpd is not the only package that is just stopped on "invoke-rc.d
restart" sometimes. I have seen similar problems with sssd and
zabbix-agent.

Is it possible that there is a race condition? Do systemd and sysvinit
wait till the old service has exited before restarting a new one?
Esp. opensmtpd, sssd and zabbix-agent manage a set of child services.
Killing the parent might not be sufficient for cleanup before starting
a new service.

Regards
Harri