changing the ethernet interface name

After installing stretch 9.1, I discovered that some programs were not
working because the interface name was enp0s31f6 instead of eth0.
This would not be a problem if these programs reported this error in their log file,but it not the case(for example with minidlnad)
I then tried to change this name, following the recipe in the debian manual
 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_network_interface_name:

    In order to ensure each network interface to be named persistently
    for each reboot using MAC address etc., there is a rules file
    "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules". This file is automatically
    generated by the "/lib/udev/write_net_rules" program, probably run
                                                          !!!!!!!!!!!!
    by the "persistent-net-generator.rules" rules file. You can modify
    it to change naming rule.

None of these files:
   70-persistent-net.rules
   /lib/udev/write_net_rules
   persistent-net-generator.rules
are present on my system, and I don't know how to get them
It's curious that the author of the manual himself is not sure Does anybody know how to to fix that.

best regards,
--
Pierre Frenkiel