Re: Bug in Brother HL4040 driver?

Andrew W wrote:

> Can anyone help me determine the location of an annoying bug which seems
> to persist in the driver(s) for the Brother HL404CN laser printer
> please? It has existed since Wheezy and is still present in Stretch.
>
> Printing from most apps (but interestingly not GIMP) will often fail
> with the printers firmware locking up and showing Error E1 on its
> display - the only way out of this is to turn the printer off and back on.
>
> I've tried several of the drivers listed and all seem to have the same
> issue. Further more in Stretch the web interface for CUPS doesnt seem to
> work on localhost:631 and the Gnome system settings GUI for print queue
> management doesnt do anything. Its as if the buttons have no event
> handlers behind them to actually do anything!
>

> Thanks

Have you done firmware upgrade?
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80507/~/print-unable-e1-or-machine-error-e1-message

also here it suggests that it might be the poppler lib causing issues

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=89122

the printer uses PCL6 so make sure you get the proper conversion from any
type to PCL in cups. Look there for solution.

regards