Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On 08/04/2017 08:58 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 04 Aug 2017 at 12:25:51 +0000, Curt wrote:

On 2017-08-04, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
A few weeks ago a CUPS upgrade to our Debian testing systems
started showing a new driver for our Brother MFC-9340CDW in print
dialogs and in the CUPS printer list and in the
system-config-printer utility.

You'd think that was good news, but we've been unable to find any
way to make the queue for this "driverless" instance of the
printer function properly.

Just very quickly found this bug that seems to be relevant to your
case, Jape. As you didn't describe the "garbled" condition of your
printouts with the "driverless" driver I can't be sure but it seems
a fair guess.

Apparently a resolution dpi error (reported as 600x2dpi--firmware bug?--and set that way by cups in the PPD. Workaroundable by
modifying the PPD manually as explained in the thread).

Definitely a firmware bug; the printer is non-conforming.
cups-browsed puts the incorrect information in the PPD because it
queries the printer and that is what it is told.

BTW at the Brother site I think they're recommending updating the firmware for this printer (maybe not for the reasons explicited
here).

HTH.

If the OP has his testing systems up-to-date, he should not be
seeing this bug.

Hi, Brian.

My Debian testing systems are definitely up-to-date, but it appears that I am still seeing the bug. Eyes are too tired for me to be able to go through the suggested PPD edit and other testing. When the world is this bleary I just can't count on getting dependable results.

The workable solution for me right now is to use the MFC-9320CW driver. It actually works quite well and gives me access to control of all printer functions that I need.

Turning off AirPrint didn't remove the advertised driverless print option in CUPS / system-config-printer / print dialogs. Oddly enough, turning off WiFi Direct did eliminate it. I know I'm being simple-minded, but the printer's wireless adapter isn't being used. It's connected to the router via Ethernet. Why do wireless settings affect what I see of this printer on the network?

At least now we don't have to select between one queue that does work and one that doesn't. Your suggestion about AirPrint / Bonjour in the other message prompted me to look through all of the wireless settings. I'm delighted not to have to look at the queue that doesn't work.

;-)

I'll eventually update the firmware when my attitude improves. The physical process in our particular location is a little tough for me. Right now I'm wondering why the version 1.08 firmware on my printer is not listed in the Brother support site's update history. Their list jumps from 1.07 (which came with the printer) to 1.09. They give no useful information about the purpose of the update (or any of the previous ones). Looks like someone there is just going through the motions.

Best regards,
JP