Re: Debian 9 running (extremelly) slow

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:30:53PM +0300, Alexandru Iancu wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm using Debian 8.9 on my old laptop(
> https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/GA009ET.htm).
> It is running fast(as Debian always used to run). I upgraded to 9.0(and
> later to 9.1) but it started to run slow so I did a fresh 9.1 install(home
> is on a different partition) but since the start is running extremely
> slow(including the installer).
> Initially, I asked what could have caused this here:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/382193/debian-9-vs-8-7-installer
>
> It seems to me as every binary take longer to execute.
> Looking at changes between versions(8 and 9) ASLR seems like something
> could affect large number of/every executable but according to this
> article:
> https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2014/02/differences-between-aslr-on-windows-and-linux.html
> the penalty should not be more than 25%.
>
> Not sure if, in my case, this security feature is causing everything to be
> (if I'm not exaggerating) 100% slower but is it possible to disable this
> security feature ?

It is likely that none of these things are the problem.
Performance problems are usually a result of running out of
RAM, processor time, disk time, network bandwidth, or thermal
overhead.

Start with this:

free
will show your memory usage. If you are using any significant
amount of swap space, then you have probably run out of memory.

cat /proc/loadavg
will show your recent processor usage. If any of the first three
numbers are 1 or more, use

top
to look at what processes are using the most CPU time.

Similarly,

iotop
will show you what processes are reading and writing your disks
the most.

If you can get temperature information with

sensors
then you could spot a thermal problem, which can cause your
processor to slow itself down. The most likely solution there
is to carefully clean everything with dry compressed air.

Finally, look at /var/log/dmesg for error messages from the
system that might indicate hardware problems.

Let us know the results. I expect you need more RAM and perhaps
a good cleaning; perhaps the disk is throwing errors.

-dsr-