Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 18:21:15 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Fungi4All composed on 2017-07-19 17:39 (UTC-0400):
> > > 27 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 68.5 MB of archives.> After this operation, 242 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> > Abort.
>
> > $ sudo apt-get upgrade
> > 25 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 21.1 MB of archives.
> > After this operation, 145 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> > Abort.
>
> Prezactly! ;-)

The different results with apt upgrade as opposed to apt-get upgrade
are due to apt installing new packages, something which apt-get will
not do. Use apt-get dist-upgrade for that. The end result is the same.

I took your advise and used apt-get only across 4 Debian editions.
It did not stop systemd from being installed all on its own.
I started with 7, pretty minimal sysV and runit, slim, openbox, midori,
2-3 lxde pieces to save time and hustle, tried to go to 8.  Every step
systemd was installing I would take it off before I would restart.  I couldn't
even get the kernel to install properly.  I would restore the initial 7 and
tried to go to 9.  Same ol, same ol.  Testing ....  I gave up and didn't even
try to go straight to sid :)
I thought maybe I can build a devuan.  I would lose net-manager all the
time and with wifi it became the impossible task to achieve.
I don't remember how many times I had to remove firefox, deluge,
and some other commercial "free" software.

So much for the apt-get not installing shit on its own.
But if it was that easy it wouldn't have taken Devuan so long to get it
done.