Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 16:20:21 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Brian composed on 2017-07-19 20:54 (UTC+0100):
>
> > On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 15:49:47 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >> Fungi4All composed on 2017-07-19 15:18 (UTC-0400):

> >> Will:	I have no idea.
>
> >> Can:	Yes.
>
> >> Apt and apt-get are not identical twins.
>
> > Those sort of statements are begging for an example of the diferences
> > with an upgrade or package installation. Will we see it?
>
> Again, I have no idea. It would take a lot of time to catch it happening, then
> restore the previous state so as to be able to actually have a chance to find
> what happened to cause it and subsequently be able to repeat at will. All I can
> say is I have a bunch of Stretch installations, and there were several occasions
> where, in order to see if differences were possible, after an 'apt-get update;
> apt-get upgrade' I immediately followed up with 'apt update; apt upgrade' and
> more packages were replaced/installed/purged. Possibly along the way to final
> Stretch release whatever caused or allowed those differences became possible no
> longer?

One picture is worth a thousand words:

root@stretch:~# apt-get install exim4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light guile-2.0-libs libfribidi0 libgc1c2 libgsasl7 libkyotocabinet16v5
  liblzo2-2 libmailutils5 libmariadbclient18 libntlm0 libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib
  mailutils mailutils-common mysql-common psmisc
Suggested packages:
  eximon4 exim4-doc-html | exim4-doc-info spf-tools-perl swaks mailutils-mh mailutils-doc
  exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light guile-2.0-libs libfribidi0 libgc1c2 libgsasl7
  libkyotocabinet16v5 liblzo2-2 libmailutils5 libmariadbclient18 libntlm0 libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal
  libpython2.7-stdlib mailutils mailutils-common mysql-common psmisc
0 upgraded, 20 newly installed, 0 to remove and 58 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.0 MB/11.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 42.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
root@stretch:~#
root@stretch:~#
root@stretch:~#
root@stretch:~# apt install exim4
[...]

Which should be trusted more. apt-get or apt?