Re: Replace systemd

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 13:57:20 +0100 Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 07:15:48PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >I suggested that a few months ago.  Thread lasted a couple weeks.
> >Lots of Pro and Con with a few "Too Hard to Do" or "Impossible to
> >Do."
>
> Also several posts of "this is already possible via /this/ method..."
> which seems to have been ignored. Perhaps David will find those
> messages in the archives.

If you're referring to "preseed" or "debootstrap" scenerios, those are
more "work-arounds" than a choice from within the installer -- What
my original query was about.  While they work, so does the other option
of switching inits after the system install is complete.  The latter, I
think, is less problematical.  No matter ...

Systemd through dependencies as well as critical system files (udev,
udisks2, policykit1, etc.) is very entrenched in Debian as well as the
dozen or so other Linux distros that use it.  It is here to stay.  So,
instead of trying to rid Stretch of it, I've decided to just treat it
like any other dependency as long as I can still choose the init system
I prefer and it works as it should.  So far, it does.  Both with
sysvinit and runit.

FWIW, I discovered in Stretch when I switched from systemd-init to
sysvinit, I recovered about 6 to 7 MB of RAM on reboot.  Ditto with
runit-init.