Re: How did you update to stretch?

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 20:07:06 -0400
Fungi4All <fungilife@protonmail.com> wrote:

> > On 27/06/17 05:39, Brian wrote:
> >> It was. I am a creature of habit. I still reboot between upgrade
> >> and dist-upgrade when I eventually upgrade a machine from one
> >> distribution to another.
>
> When one uses synaptic there is reload (update) and upgrade, it does
> not distinguish between dist and non-dist upgrade. I assume it is
> dist-upgrade. So if synaptic has a new edition (which I assume its
> dependencies may have been updated) it sounds wise to upgrade it
> alone (w/ dependencies) and then restart it and run the upgrade.
> Would these be correct assumptions? In most cases I use apt, and
> synaptic when I am searching for a useful package, due to
> descriptions, snapshots, etc.

Look at Settings->Preferences General tab. From the Help:

"Default Upgrade
The default upgrade method marks upgrades of installed packages only.
If the later version of a package depends on not installed packages or
conflicts with an already installed package, the upgrade will not be
marked.

"Smart Upgrade (Dist-Upgrade) The smart upgrade method tries to
resolve package conflicts intelligently. This includes installing
additional required packages and preferring packages with higher
priority. Smart upgrade is also known as dist-upgrade in the console
tool apt-get. "

Except that 'Smart Upgrade' is actually the default, not 'Default
Upgrade'.

--
Joe