Re: Jessie --> Stretch upgrade, apt question

On 2017-06-25, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is that since the upgrade chromium is held back from
> upgrading, and in this new world I don't know how to find out why. In
> aptitude I would have done aptitude why-not chromium and it would most
> likely have told me something useful about its dependencies. How can I
> get apt to do similar? Or what tool should I use?

'apt-get install <package>' will tell you why a package is being held
back (or, as discussed in another thread, will ask your permission to
install an extra package--or packages--in order to meet its dependencies).

--
"It might be a vision--of a shell, of a wheelbarrow, of a fairy kingdom on the
far side of the hedge; or it might be the glory of speed; no one knew." --Mrs.