Re: Jessie --> Stretch upgrade, apt question

On Wed 28 Jun 2017 at 22:19:18 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:18:46AM +0200, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> >
> > In short, use aptitude for why and why-not. Closest thing apt-get and
> > friends have would be apt-cache --important depends/rdepends. But,
> > aptitude is much better suited for that task. And for all other tasks
> > that involve advanced searching, as far as I could tell. As for apt
> > itself, would not know exactly, I refuse to use tool with man page that
> > treats me like an idiot, while not giving me anything new and important
> > compared to apt-get and friends. But guess would be that it is apt
> > --important depends/rdepends. And probably not more helpful than
> > apt-cache variant.
> >

> Hmmm. So we end up using apt-get for major version upgrades (according
> to the recommendations of the release notes), apt most of the time
> (according to the recommendation of all the tools, including apt-get,
> when the slightest thing goes wrong), and aptitude when neither apt-get
> or apt have a good way to do something? Seems like this area of Debian
> could use a cleanup.
>
> Thanks for the reply though.

Dejan Jocic makes a fair point contasting the search aspects of aptitude
and apt-cache and questions whether apt provides anything significantly
more than apt-get.

I think you are reading too much into his reply. For example, I suspect
aptitude would handle a major version upgrade just as well as apt-get.
No doubt it has been done successfully; day-to-day upgrades too. I do
not know where apt fits into this picture; it provides fluffiness,
perhaps.

What would a cleanup involve?