Re: Jessie --> Stretch upgrade, apt question

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:36:37AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2017-06-25, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My question is that since the upgrade chromium is held back from
> > upgrading, and in this new world I don't know how to find out why. In
> > aptitude I would have done aptitude why-not chromium and it would most
> > likely have told me something useful about its dependencies. How can I
> > get apt to do similar? Or what tool should I use?
> >

> 'apt-get install <package>' will tell you why a package is being held
> back (or, as discussed in another thread, will ask your permission to
> install an extra package--or packages--in order to meet its dependencies).

It did indeed -- turns out libgnutls depended on libtrm1 (sp?) but the
version required "is not going to be installed".

And the reason for THAT turned out to be that a while back, while still
on Jessie I experimented with the deb-multimedia repository and that
repository uses incompatible version numbers for (at least) some
packages, which resulted in the version from the jessie deb-multimedia
repository not being upgraded to the new stretch version, causing
version incompatibilities.

I was musing on how to solve that when I, in an entirely separate thread
of thought, decided to install the zoneminder software for monitoring
security cameras. The version of it packaged for stretch is offered in
the... deb-multimedia repository. So I have ended up adding it back to
my system, doing which resolved the issue anyway.

Mark