Re: pointers to material for using netbook's wireless as access point

Le 08/06/2017 à 16:00, Joel Rees a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:03 PM, didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>>  https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections#Bridging_with_a_wireless_NIC
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding that wiki, but it seems to be describing this
> kind of setup:
>
>    WAN <--> foreign AP <-wireless-> debian box <-> more devices
>
> But what I'm wanting is
>
>    WAN <-wired-> router/modem <-wired-> debian netbook AP <-> more devices
>
> (But thanks for taking the time to mention that page.)

I think it can be understood either way, so it seems to me it is
applicable the way you want it (the way I had already understood it)?
I suppose the one thing you probably do not have to bother with is
ebtables because you establish a bridge between an ethernet NIC and a
software AP NIC, not between an ethernet NIC and a wireless client NIC.

To summarize I would suggest to:
- not include wlan0 in /etc/interfaces because wlan0 is already declared
in hosapd.conf and that could interfere
- not include "pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid $YOUR_ESSID" in the bridge
section of /etc/interfaces because it is probably relevant for  a
wireless client but irrelevant for an AP
- include "bridge_hw $MAC_ADDRESS_OF_YOUR_WIRELESS_CARD"  in the bridge
section of /etc/interfaces

(All of this being pure supposition of my part as I am almost ignorant
of the network things: do not assume what I am saying is correct without
verification)