Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

Greg Wooledge composed on 2017-05-24 16:00 (UTC-0400):

> A more common suggestion might be to verify that all of the necessary
> firmware has been installed, especially if some of it is from non-free.

> dmesg | grep -i firmware

Requested >20 hours ago:

I also asked which video player(s) he was using, and got no answer to that either.

> He got his Xorg.0.log from $HOME instead of /var/log, which means he is
> running startx, not using a display manager.

All my Stretch installations are using /var/log/ for Xorg.#.log whether I use
startx (with or without a DM running) or not. All my openSUSEes are, and even my
Fedoras IIRC.

Once upon a time, Intel gfx did not need any firmware that was not part of a
default or minimal installation. :-(

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/