Re: Oh no something has gone wrong! after reinstalling Debian and Gnome.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 03:38:38PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Given that that log contains no (EE) errors, switching to a different DE might
> be a solution.

Well, we knew that from the Subject: of the email. ;-)  The message in
the subject is unique to certain desktop environments, and indicates
that the graphics support isn't good enough for whatever crazy rendering
or compositing thing the kids these days think a workstation should do.

> That log also reports the modeset(0) driver is in use. It's possible that the
> Intel driver would work better.

I suppose it's worth a shot, but the modeset driver is supposed to
be the correct choice for most Intel graphics chipsets in stretch,
even those that were supported by the intel driver in jessie.

A more common suggestion might be to verify that all of the necessary
firmware has been installed, especially if some of it is from non-free.

dmesg | grep -i firmware

See if there are any errors about missing firmware there, and if so,
track down and install whichever packages contain those firmware blobs.
It's pretty likely that he'll want firmware-misc-nonfree for example.

> followed by login manager restart or reboot.

He got his Xorg.0.log from $HOME instead of /var/log, which means he is
running startx, not using a display manager.

I'm not sure whether you need to reboot after installing new firmware.