Re: How to run Debian from SD card but booting from USB stick?

On Sat 13 May 2017 at 14:09:09 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > it will work for Debian. The answer is "probably" but it is questionable
> > whether the advice to alter the initrd on the SD card need be followed.
> > Perhaps it was necessary for the Ubuntu kernel at the time the article
> > was written. The hardware involved would have to be known to more
> > definitive.
>
> It will work definitely the same way as it is described in this Ubuntu
> artice.

Now that we know the OP's machine has a Ricoh card reader I agree
"probably" could be raised to "definitely". But the palaver of
altering an initrd is still unnecessary.

> As the article states, if your laptop can boot from SD no work is needed.
> If it works or not, you'll find right after you reboot ;-)

His machine cannot boot from an SD card.

> > Debian would need to be installed to the SD card and the *same" Debian
> > installed to the USB stick. lsinitramfs will help confirm whether needed
> > modules are in an initrd.
>
> Not the same debian - you can install on the SD card and move or copy just
> the boot directory to the usb, so that grub and pre init can do the work.

I got carried away. :)

--
Brian.