Re: How to run Debian from SD card but booting from USB stick?

Błażej Popławski wrote:

> I have a laptop which allows for booting from USB sticks but not from
> internal SD card reader.
> Is it possible to install Debian on SD card with /boot catalog and
> bootloader on USB stick in such a way that it would work? I mean: boot
> Debian from USB stick, but the whole system will be installed and will run
> from SD card inserted
> in internal SD card reader?
> I've found such solution for Ubuntu
> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot=>FromSD) and I'm wondering if it
> will work for Debian.

You need the bootloader on the usb stick (grub). The bootloader would pass
the loading of the kernel and initrd to the device where it is located. So
it is advisable to put your boot directory on the usb stick as well. When
you create the initrd, you should enable/include the drivers for the card
reader, so that the boot process may find the root file system and start
init/systemd

regards