Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

On 05/10/2017 09:19 AM, Michael Milliman wrote:
On 05/10/2017 06:57 AM, songbird wrote:
[...]
   if you wanted to you could have one partition for
booting the stable distribution and only update that
when you have a good time for that.

   the thing with these setups is that in Debian you
don't have to get automatic updates if you don't want
them so you know when the system is being upgraded.

IMHO, this is a most excellent way of doing things, given that time is
available to maintain such a system.  This way, you have the best of all
worlds. And can incorporate newer packages and versions as they are
available and tested on your system into your working system.

"given that time is available to maintain such a system". That's where I seem to fall short. Time. And by the time I get done with my regular work (which lately I've been swamped with), I haven't really had the time to do any experimenting even with the Stretch virtual machine I've created (see my other longer reply on this).

For my situation, dual boot isn't a good trade-off. For others, it's the best way to go. Different situations call for different configurations. Virtual machines work best for my situation.

In fact, it was working with virtual machine versions of Linux that got me convinced (rather quickly, I might add) to switch from Windows to a GNU/Linux distro in the first place! That was almost 4.5 years ago and I have no intention of leaving! :) I used to distro-hop but I think I am going to stick with Debian now. I have to use Ubuntu at work, as it is so at least it's somewhat familiar.