Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

On Mon 08 May 2017 at 12:13:30 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 08 May 2017 00:45:34 Michael Milliman wrote:
> > Many people also run Experimental
> > (Sid) for the benefit of bleeding-edge versions of software, but a lot
> > of instability (in all senses of the word).
>
> No, Sid is not the same as Experimental.  Sid is Unstable.  Then there is also
> Experimental, which cannot actually be run, but from which packages can be
> taken (if you like to live dangerously ;-)  )

experimental is not a distribution. Someone with a sense of humour gave
it the codename "rc-buggy". At the present time many of the packages
there are being held back from unstable because of the freeze. Once
Stretch is officially released they will migrate to unstable. They will
be no less dangerous there than they were in experimental (unless bugs
have been fixed in the meantime).

However, I agree with your sentiment. Users installing packages from the
experimental archive should read the changelogs carefully and be prepared
to meet and report bugs.

--
Brian.