Debian 8.8 Released but can't get via apt-get?

I have 8.7 on my system and read that 8.8 is now available. I did an update yesterday (I prefer to do this at the command line). I'm still at 8.7, so after the announcement I did another update. I got no updates. (sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade showed no updates available).

Does it take awhile for the updates to get to the mirrors? Or do I already have them? I thought if I had them then /etc/debian_version would show 8.8 but it doesn't. It still says 8.7.

Can someone enlighten me as to how to get the 8.8 updates or how to tell if I already have them?