RE: Secure boot - Uefi installation

Hi,

>> I installed on a Dell (don't recall the model number now, but it's a
>> recent model), and I found that the firmware appears to be buggy, in
>> that you can specify a UEFI installation to boot, and it shows the
>> setting you enter, but it ignores that setting and boots only to the
>> default installation, which is something like "\boot\default\boot64.efi".
>
> If I remember right, when I installed debian alongside windows 8 on my previous UEFI HP laptop, I had to disable fast boot in windows 8, otherwise it would boot directly windows, not grub.

The reason for THAT is that Windows with fastboot turned on does a hibernate and not a shutdown when you tell it to shutdown.
So when you turn on the machine it does not do a boot cycle but a resume cycle, never going past the boot process.
Fastboot is on by default but I have not really found it to speed up the boot process when using a SSD to boot from.

Bonno Bloksma