Re: Possibly erroneous "device not present" message during boot

On Sat 15 Apr 2017 at 11:52:09 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 04/15/2017 05:24 AM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >Now for a big "but". :)
> >
> >Your previous 'Debian GNU/Linux (8.6) (on /dev/mmcblk0p1)' stanza had
> >
> > linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-686-pae root=/dev/mmcblk0p1
> >
> >This one has
> >
> > linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-686-pae root=UUID=e57b2c64-74ec-4184-af71-d807e07f07dd ro quiet
> >
> >The UUID has changed (I think you said you had done this) but the kernel
> >now looks for init using the UUID rather than on /dev/mmcblk0p1. How did
> >you manage to get something significantly different?
>
> During the first install of Debian to the SD card I allowed the installer to
> create a single partition filling the whole card. The primary purpose of
> that install was a brute force determination of whether or not my individual
> machine could read/write an SD card. The machine was a replacement for a
> different used machine purchased from the vendor. My accepting the SD card
> was dependent on that test.
>
> I had reinstalled Debian to a more reasonably sized partition. That would
> explain a changed UUID. During the reinstall I experimented with installing
> grub to the MBR of the SD card. No grub was installed the first time.

The UUID change is understandable. But hey - you've altered the ground
rules! Now, it seems, you are exploring booting from the card itself
rather than from GRUB on a hard disk.

> >And, more to the point, is there booting from the card without any error
> >messages?

Did you overlook this question? You have said your machine does not
offer booting from an SD card. Your answer will be interesting.

--
Brian.