Re: Systemd services (was Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...)

Le quintidi 25 germinal, an CCXXV, Greg Wooledge a écrit :
> Some day there will be actual end-user-friendly systemd documentation
> somewhere, consolidating all of these pieces of wisdom together.  I hope.

Note: systemd is not for end-users, it is for system administrator and
distribution authors.

> 1) To override parts of a distribution's systemd unit locally, you MUST
>    use the foo.service.d/ method.  You can't just put the override bits
>    into an /etc/systemd/system/foo.service file.  That would be too easy.

foo.service.d/*.conf            is for overriding bits.
/etc/systemd/system/foo.service is for overriding the whole file.

I find that fairly natural. Otherwise, how would you override the whole
file?

> 2) The files inside foo.service.d/ MUST end with a .conf suffix.  (Cf.
>    the wheezy->jessie apache2 upgrade, and having to rename every single
>    one of my virtual domain config files AND the symlinks to them.)

After having been bitten by old *.conf~ backup files left by an editor,
I must say I find that restriction quite useful.

> 3) foo.service.d/ must use the CANONICAL service name of whatever it is
>    that you're trying to override.  This may not be the same as the
>    Debian package name.  For example, the nfs-kernel-server package
>    creates a systemd unit named nfs-server.service with an ALIAS of
>    nfs-kernel-server.service.  If you try to create override files in
>    nfs-kernel-server.service.d/ it will not work correctly.  They have
>    to be in nfs-server.service.d/ instead.
>
>    Don't even get me started on sshd.service vs. ssh.service.  Do you
>    have any idea how hard it is to notice that extra/missing "d", and
>    figure out why things Simply Do Not Work?

On the other hand, if systemd were to read snippets of configuration
with a subtly different name, someone else (or maybe be even yourself!)
would have complained about wasted time because of a stale config
snippet that should not have been read.

I find that strict rules are usually more convenient in the long run.

Note that you can use "systemctl edit" to have an editor started on the
exact correct file.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George