Re: Systemd services (was Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...)

On 14/04/17 14:17, Nicolas George wrote:
Le quintidi 25 germinal, an CCXXV, Greg Wooledge a écrit :
Some day there will be actual end-user-friendly systemd documentation
somewhere, consolidating all of these pieces of wisdom together.  I hope.

Note: systemd is not for end-users, it is for system administrator and
distribution authors.

systemd is absolutely for end-users, because:

* Some systemd-running systems are home desktop computers with a single physical user; in this case, the distinction between "administrator" and "user" may well only exist as a hallucination of the computer, with no basis in the external physical world. If the computer I'm typing this e-mail on breaks down, I have to fix it myself.

* systemd can, in any event, be used to manage service-like processes that form part of a user's login session, using unit files stored in that user's XDG Base Directories.