Re: Looks like apt-get autoremove Removed Too Much.

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> /var/log/apt/history.log should contain something like
>
> Start-Date: 2017-03-02  06:48:56
> Commandline: apt-get autoremove
>
> followed by the packages removed. If, during the removal, some service
> was stopped, or whatever, you might see some output somewhat buried in
> /var/log/apt/term.log at the corresponding time.

	I am rather sure I found it thanks to your suggestion.
Unfortunately, the system is running a cron job to record a radio
program right now so I can't cause a reboot without ruining the
on-going recording but I did as you suggested and found the file
as described. in amongst the no-longer-needed packages in the
list of removed software was network-manager, one that is quite
needed on this system. Since a network connection was already
established, nothing stopped at the time network-manager was
removed but the system couldn't then setup eth0 when it came up
again after the reboot I gave it to see if all was well. It
definitely was not well, having no eth0 on reboot.

	I had to manually issue the following commands on eth0 to
make the system able to use apt-get install network-manager:

#Bring eth0 up.
ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.1.81 netmask "255.255.255.0"

#Setup a route to our internet router.
route add 192.168.1.1 eth0

#Let the system know where to route packets to the big wide world.
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

I forgot that last step at first and apt-get install network-manager
would crash immediately because the system had no routing
information outside of our private network.  It couldn't do DNS
lookups nor could it reach the repositories. After I got that
done, it installed all the packages so I expect it to do dhcp
next time I reboot.

	Again, my thanks to everybody who helped.

Martin