Re: Looks like apt-get autoremove Removed Too Much.

On Tue 11 Apr 2017 at 13:12:58 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	After using apt-get autoremove on a jessie installation,
> the system is mostly working but it now fails to initialize eth0
> so it comes up with no network address. I looked back through the
> 8 syslog files it had and, of course, there doesn't happen to be
> a syslog taken of a boot or I might be able to see what happened
> when avahi-daemon got the IP address for eth0.

autoremove will only remove packages which are not depended on by other
packages. Its list to autoremove depends on previous history - what was
purged or removed earlier. Only you know what that was.

> 	For now, I manually setup eth0 by using ifconfig so it
> presently has an IP address and seems to otherwise be working but
> I am not sure what got removed that shouldn't have been.

autoremove only removes what *should* be removed because it is no longer
needed. You agreed to its suggestions.

> 	Here is what syslog said when I rebooted the system after
> the autoremove:
>
> a0 avahi-daemon[1668]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv6 with address fe80::211:11ff:fe0e:4e18.
> a0 avahi-daemon[1668]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.81.
> a0 avahi-daemon[1668]: avahi-daemon 0.6.31 exiting.
>
> Here it is coming back up.
>
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 113).
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: Successfully called chroot().
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: Loading service file /services/udisks.service.
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: SO_REUSEPORT failed: Protocol not available
> a0 avahi-daemon[]: SO_REUSEPORT failed: Protocol not available
>
> Tat's probably where something got zapped that shouldn't have.

This is about avahi, a protocol used on the local network. Nothing to do
with the internet.

> This system configures it's interface via dhcp and that is what is
> now not happening.
>
> 	ifconfig -a shows eth0 all right but it is not set to
> anything until I manually configure it. /etc/network/interfaces
> is okay. There are no huge squawks in the syslog on bootup but
> sftpd isn't starting, probably because there is no interface to
> listen on. After setting eth0, vsftpd started.

What do you mean by "manually"? How was eth0 configured before?
Why is /e/n/i sound?

> Any constructive suggestions are greatly appreciated as to what
> to look for that should be there but is not.

/var/log/apt.

--
Brian.