Re: Looks like apt-get autoremove Removed Too Much.

On Tue 11 Apr 2017 at 13:12:58 (-0500), Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	After using apt-get autoremove on a jessie installation,
> the system is mostly working but it now fails to initialize eth0
> so it comes up with no network address. I looked back through the
> 8 syslog files it had and, of course, there doesn't happen to be
> a syslog taken of a boot or I might be able to see what happened
> when avahi-daemon got the IP address for eth0.
>
> 	For now, I manually setup eth0 by using ifconfig so it
> presently has an IP address and seems to otherwise be working but
> I am not sure what got removed that shouldn't have been.
[...]
> Tat's probably where something got zapped that shouldn't have.
>
> This system configures it's interface via dhcp and that is what is
> now not happening.
>
> 	ifconfig -a shows eth0 all right but it is not set to
> anything until I manually configure it. /etc/network/interfaces
> is okay. There are no huge squawks in the syslog on bootup but
> sftpd isn't starting, probably because there is no interface to
> listen on. After setting eth0, vsftpd started.
>
> Any constructive suggestions are greatly appreciated as to what
> to look for that should be there but is not.

/var/log/apt/history.log should contain something like

Start-Date: 2017-03-02  06:48:56
Commandline: apt-get autoremove

followed by the packages removed. If, during the removal, some service
was stopped, or whatever, you might see some output somewhat buried in
/var/log/apt/term.log at the corresponding time.

Cheers,
David.