Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On 04/10/2017 07:59 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 04/08/2017 01:06 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

'They' never told us, owners of single user laptops, why we should chose
it.

Simple, as I see it, single user laptop support doesn't pay the bills.
Neither do Desktops. Ubuntu found that one out, for all of their user
friendly features. When Red Hat broke the billion dollar amount for a
single year of support services to big iron, everyone else salivated.
The decision to switch to SystemD is simple ...Docker, clusters and "The
Cloud", where the big dollars roam.

"Simple" it ain't.
I don't believe that the "single user laptop" market has been targeted in recent generations of operating systems.

I suspect an underlying problem is "linguistic" rather than "technological".

Ric didn't quote a key (IMMHO;) sentence of my post. I said:
I never saw anything addressing potential advantages for a
specific organic user owning a discrete laptop.

When speaking Linux (as opposed to English) the terms "user" and "single user" have meanings and implications quite divergent than what the general population would perceive.

The mass marketers [Microsoft, Canonical(Ubuntu), Google(Android)] use the "high power blunderbuss" approach. They bag enough sales to keep bean counters happy. Please note I did NOT use the term "customer" nor "accountants" in the previous sentence.

Now Ric has suggested that Red Hat has developed a large caliber rifle known as 'systemd' which is suitable for 'big iron'. The herd of vendors have jumped on the band wagon.

To shift idiom a bit. When facing a charging rhino an elephant gun would be more useful than a blunderbuss. But when deer hunting, wouldn't a hunting rifle with scope be more appropriate than either?

More editorials likely to follow.
The OWL ducks fer cover ;/