Re: Old 32bit PC 650kRam less VidMem 1024x768 will not run on Stretch ok on Jessie

Felix Miata:
> GiaThnYgeia composed on 2017-04-10 10:18 (UTC):
>> Felix Miata:
>> Would this be IT?
>>1 sudo nano /etc/default/grub
>>2 GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet iomem=relaxed"
>>3 sudo update-grub
>
> It would be #1 below, the step to take after proving that iomem=relaxed
> is necessary for your Prosavage8 S3 Graphics gfxchip to work with 4.8 or
> newer kernels.

>>> 1-reconfiguring the bootloader after a successful boot (usually via
>>> changes to /etc/default/grub, then having grub write a new
>>> /boot/grub/grub.cfg file with grub-mkconfig), or

Again, I appreciate you helping me trying to help someone to be
introduced to debian but those three lines above (1-2-3) do not equal
those below (1-).  In your understanding and knowledge base maybe, but
not everyone who may be trying to use Debian instead of a non-free
system will see them as equal.  People watching the weather forecast do
not need to take 3 semesters of thermodynamics and meteorology to
understand whether they should take an umbrella to work or not.  Are you
saying they shouldn't watch the weather forecast on Debian?

It may be too early to speak, but once the debian-installer-9 (Stretch
is released) if this is the outcome for "ANY" system I think my
constructive criticism of being "experimental" will be well founded.
One should not have to do this to get a "stable" system installed!

>> "If it works"
>
>> This is the key term here, unless you are an experienced
>> developer/programmer Debian or Linux is not for you!  To the vast
>> majority of people using a) browser 60% b) wordprocessor/office 15% c)
>> multimedia software 20% d) some pluginnplay software 4% e) misc. 1%
>> linux is virtually useless/dangerous!
>
>> If 32bit systems are no longer supported it should be stated with bold
>> headlines.  The fact that somewhere in the fine print there is an alert
>> that "some" hardware may cause the upgrade from 8 to 9 to break your
>> system, that actually takes "some knowledge" to interpret as such, is
>> unacceptable.
>
> This is not so much about 32 bit as it is about old gfx hardware for
> which drivers have not been adapted to the KMS model on which more
> modern gfxchips depend and succeed.

I see no bold headlines saying "this New Release of Debian may break
your system, better stick to Jessie unless you have new hardware".  To
which you may respond it is not Debian's fault but Linux4.8+.  !!!
Stick to 4.7 then, damn it!  But the security people disagree.

AND, Yes, but is anything preventing someone from installing Stretch and
breaking a good system, aka Jessie!  And if the problem lies internally
within the linux4.8+ why isn't it booting up to a graphics login screen
with linux3.16, the same that was left from Jessie?

Again you are responding technically in solving a technical problem that
I presented. For this I thank you.  What I am now saying is that it is
unacceptable as a practice.  At least there should be a patch installed
of listed unsupported hardware that once detected during upgrade it
reconfigures the boot manager with your suggested modification.  Or
refuses the upgrade on the premises of "no longer supported" hardware.

I don't think too many people will put up with a broken system, trying
to use lynx or emacs to find or get responses as yours to fix a system
that a few hours before was running fine.

Should a live system based on Stretch have the same problem?
In other words, when a Debian-Stretch-9.0-Lxde-i386.iso is released will
it boot on this same hardware?  I wouldn't think so.  But the
Jessie8.7.1-live-i386 run fine.

The questioning is not directed to you trying to help but to those that
make such decisions to allow such things to happen.  If editing grub or
lilo and adding a line fixes the installation it should be done
automatically, not allow a broken system and a user trying to find out
what has happened.  A notice would be nice "your system must now reboot
to modify the installation based on your no-longer-supported hardware".

I think I have done my share of reporting and complaining to let the
issue rest for "higher authorities" to decide whether something should
be done.  I don't think gfx hdw were produced in limited numbers, I
think there are thousands of them out.

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG

"Who died and made you the superuser?"  Brooklinux