Re: Old 32bit PC 650kRam less VidMem 1024x768 will not run on Stretch ok on Jessie

Felix Miata:
> GiaThnYgeia composed on 2017-04-04 13:51 (UTC):
>> This must be a 15y old machine, at least. I think it is a very early
>> Celeron > processor with about 256k video memory.
>
> What do 'lspci | grep VGA' and/or 'inxi -c0 -v1' show?

One of the reasons I wrote the post is to get a list of stuff that I
will have to record when I go back. It may take another day.

>> Still, if Debian8 runs why does Debian9 fail?  Simple upgrade from 8
>> to > 9, nothing else changed.
> Kernel changed from 3.16 to 4.9, big difference if you have the wrong
> gfxchip:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01326.html

I know, so I did not delete the 3.16 when the 4.9 was installed.  I
tried booting up with 3.16 but it made no difference.  Same color lines
flashed once the bootup text was gone and it tried to bring up the
graphical part.  Even from recovery trying to bring something up
manually it run into the same.
I am a bit hasty on the procedure of building up the running kernel, it
may start as 3.16 but it incorporates other drivers into the kernel when
something like LightDM is attempted, right?  So even if the 3.16 kernel
is the same it brings up graphics related code from Debian9 that is
different from 8.

Here my USB installed systems may have some use, for someone who has
valuable data on a system to try the upgrade on a different drive before
messing up their long developed system.  I just didn't have any 32bit
ones.

Funny thing (kudos to the tails team) that has testing and unstable
stuff all mixed up in there ..... it DID run!  I noticed the kernel is
built on 4.8 and it is 32bit (I think there is going to be one last 2.12
32bit edition and then all tails3 will be 64bit only).  But I think live
systems incorporate a lot of code that makes them more adopting to
hardware than permanent installations.

--
 "The most violent element in society is ignorance" rEG