Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On 06-04-17, Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 11:10:12 +0100
> Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 06/04/17 10:58, Joe wrote:
> > > I understood that an upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie would switch to
> > > systemd as init. Even if that could be fixed afterwards, then there
> > > will be server downtime and a manual procedure involved which will
> > > not be part of the upgrade procedure and therefore will not have
> > > been tested by the upgrade designers.
> > >
> > > Is that not the case?
> >
> > *By default*, an upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie will switch to systemd
> > as init. However, per section 5.6 of the official published release
> > notes for Debian 8 "jessie", APT pinning can be used to prevent this
> > changeover:
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
> >
> > Quoted here for convenience:
> >
> > ==== BEGIN QUOTE ====
> > As an example, to prevent systemd-sysv from being installed during
> > the upgrade, you can create a file called
> > /etc/apt/preferences.d/local-pin-init with the following contents:
> >
> > Package: systemd-sysv
> > Pin: release o=Debian
> > Pin-Priority: -1
> > ==== END QUOTE ====
> >

> Thanks, I haven't gone through this yet, I've only got one server to
> do, but it hasn't yet reached the top of the priorities list...
>
> --
> Joe

Have you thought of cloning your specific set up and then testing it to
see how it will upgrade? Like one clone that you will upgrade with
preventing systemd-sysv to install via Pin-Priority and other clone where
you will upgrade to systemd? Upgrade to at least Jessie is something
that will happen in your case anyway, so why not test it up front? Just
thought really.

Have fun :)