Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 12:13:06 +0200
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

> Le septidi 17 germinal, an CCXXV, Joe a écrit :
> >		   Even if that could be fixed afterwards, then there
> > will be server downtime and a manual procedure involved which will
> > not be part of the upgrade procedure and therefore will not have
> > been tested by the upgrade designers.
>
> Does that mean that apart from the systemd issue you expect
> dist-upgrade to have been tested on your particular setup and to
> finish without downtime and manual procedure?

On the whole, yes. I have only packages from the Debian repositories
installed, plus some of my own scripts. If I follow the upgrade release
notes to the letter, I expect every package to upgrade cleanly, with
possibly some minor problems with scripts. I expect some problems with
web pages from different versions of apache, php, etc., but I don't
consider them to be operating system upgrade issues.

Granted, there have been more little niggles with each upgrade (this
machine started life as sarge), things get more complicated with each
version. I'm not that bothered about downtime (within reason, the
Debian lists get very stroppy when their emails bounce) but some people
are. What is more worrying is having to wing it through a procedure
which has not been tested fully and described in the upgrade documents,
but it does appear that will not be the case here.

--
Joe