Re: Upgrading Jessie to Stretch

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:12:00 +0000
kAt <giathnygeia@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Is there a reason to update the current system and/or reboot with the
> updated kernel before jumping to a new system, or is everything set up
> in a way that once updated and upgraded into the target system the
> reboot will take you "up" there?
>
> My experience has only been with various stages of Jessie into Stretch
> and I thought I risked doing this, I've had one failure which was
> probably due to an incorrect gfx-resolution adjustment, but in general
> it worked.  Like going from 8.2 or 8.5 disk installation straight into
> updated Stretch or Sid.  Let's say someone has a Debian 6 that hasn't
> been updated for a while, can they switch to testing or sid and update?

I believe that it is probably a good idea to dist-upgrade Jessie into an
up-to-date state before starting the upgrade to Stretch, but it is
certainly a good idea to do the intermediate steps of upgrading Squeeze
to Wheezy first and then to Jessie before starting the upgrade to Stretch;
with a direct upgrade Squeeze -> Stretch it is very likely (if not
dead-sure) that you won't get far.

Regards

Michael

Humans do claim a great deal for that particular emotion (love).
		-- Spock, "The Lights of Zetar", stardate 5725.6