Re: Upgrading Jessie to Stretch

Michael Lange wrote:
> I believe that it is probably a good idea to dist-upgrade Jessie into an
> up-to-date state before starting the upgrade to Stretch, but it is
> certainly a good idea to do the intermediate steps of upgrading Squeeze
> to Wheezy first and then to Jessie before starting the upgrade to Stretch;
> with a direct upgrade Squeeze -> Stretch it is very likely (if not
> dead-sure) that you won't get far.

  jumping versions is usually not supported.

  i've tried it at times.  always have a spare
bootable partition or some other media which
gives you net access so you can download any
new packages needed.  (but instead ... --->

  much easier to back things up you want to keep,
install from a debian installer image and then
restore what you want.

  if you have enough of a gap going back you may
want to upgrade underlying partition's file systems
(ext2 to ext4 as just one example).

  songbird