Re: Anyone know what this means when running aptitude update?

Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
>> Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Just curious why you recommend this instead of "apt-key add"?
>>
>> Because the man-page for apt-key says so:
>>
>> ,----
>> |  add filename
>> |      [...]
>> |      Note: Instead of using this command a keyring should be
>> |      placed directly in the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
>> |      directory with a descriptive name and either "gpg" or
>> |      "asc" as file extension.
>> `----

> Thanks. FYI my Debian 8.4 apt-key man page does not contain that text.
> ii  apt                                   1.0.9.8.3
>    amd64        commandline package manager

But it works. I converted all my systems two weeks ago from putting
everything into /etc/apt/trusted.gpg via "apt-key add -" to single files
in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/, which allows me to handle the keys, addition
*and* removal, very easily via puppet.

Doing this with the one file is much more complicated, with the new
approach I just need to add or remove the GPG pubkey files to the
directory and everything works.

Grüße,
Sven.

--